Bastille Day Truck Attack in Nice, France Left 80 People Killed Including Children

July 15, 2016 4:50 am 0 comments Views:

RT_nice_france_bodies_cf_160714_4x3_992

 

July 15, 2016 –  During Bastille Day celebrations on Thursday, a truck plowed into pedestrians in Nice’s popular French seaside city, leaving 80 individuals dead in what the president of the nation called it as a terrorist attack.

According to French President Francois Hollande’s address on Friday morning, the deadly toll that included several children came right after the truck slammed into revelers who gathered on a promenade in order to watch fireworks.

Hollande pledged to step up more efforts to fight terror in Syria and Iraq, and said he’ll seek to extend the country’s state of emergency by 3 months. According to him, France is deeply saddened, yet it remains very strong. He said that they will always be stronger than the terrorists and fanatics who tried to attack them.

According to Hollande, the driver was fatally shot to death by police officers. Still, it’s unknown if there were accomplices. Citing a police source, French media reported that papers and IDs belonging to a French-Tunisian man were discovered in the truck. Because of that, the driver is believed to be a French national of Tunisian descent.

Witnesses and officials said that the truck hit the crowd at around 10:40pm local time, shortly after fireworks display.

The president of the region of the Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur that includes Nice, Christian Estrosi, told the media that the driver of the truck also shot at people. According to a senior US military official, explosives and guns were also found inside the truck.

At the time of Hollande’s statement, 77 people were already confirmed dead. After a short time, the interior minister of France said that the death toll had already risen to 80, and 18 more were in critical condition.

United States President Barack Obama earlier condemned the horrific terrorist attack and said the United States has offered any assistance that the French nation may need.

France has already been on edge since a series of terror attacks in Paris that happened on November and left around 130 people dead. ISIS claimed responsibility for that certain attack.

According to international terrorism research organization – Flashpoint Intelligence – there were no immediate responsibility claims by ISIS through is unofficial and unofficial channels.

Get More Right To Your Inbox!