Five-star Egyptian hotel one of two to have its licence revoked after British businesswoman is allegedly raped by security guard
- Policeman allegedly attempted to rape Russian tourist in her bedroom
- British woman: Claimed she was raped by an employee of her hotel
- Woman, 47, from Basingstoke, Hampshire, reported an attack
- Cancelled the licence of the Hilton Sharks Bay hotel on Monday
Egypt said it had withdrawn the licences of two hotels in a popular Red Sea resort over reported sexual assaults as a policeman was charged on this week with attempted rape.
A prosecutor referred the Sharm el-Sheikh policeman to trial for allegedly entering the hotel room of a Russian tourist and attempting to rape her, the official MENA news agency reported.
In separate case, a British woman has complained that she was raped by an employee of her Sharm el-Sheikh hotel, tourism officials said.
Egypt said it had withdrawn the licences of two hotels in a popular Red Sea resort over reported sexual assaults as a policeman was charged on this week with attempted rape. It included cancelling the licence of the Hilton Sharks Bay hotel (pictured)
Hundreds of thousands of foreign holidaymakers visit Egypt’s Red Sea resorts each year, bringing desperately needed revenue to a sector battered by political upheaval since the Arab Spring uprising of 2011.
The ministry ‘took a series of decisions, including cancelling the licence of the Hilton Sharks Bay hotel on Monday,’ ministry spokeswoman Rasha al-Azaizi told AFP.
She said the ministry also withdrew the operating licence of a second hotel where a sexual assault had been reported.
A British businesswoman, believed to be in her 40s, was allegedly raped by a security guard walked her back to her room in a five-star hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh
A receptionist at the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort told AFP no public relations official was available to handle press inquiries but added that the hotel was functioning normally.
‘We can say there has been a complaint and it is being investigated,’ he said.
‘The hotel is working normally. So far nothing has reached us,’ he added, referring to the tourism ministry’s decision.
Earlier this week a 47-year-old woman from Basingstoke, Hampshire, reported to police that she was attacked at 12.30am on March 6 at hotel in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.
She claimed she was sexually assaulted by a guard who was escorting her to her room.
The victim, who was flown back to the UK following the complaint, has given evidence to officers from Amberstone, Hampshire police’s specialist interview team.
Detective Sergeant Matt Gillooly said: ‘We are now working with the woman to evidence exactly what happened and provide support following the attack. We have a number of lines of inquiry which we are progressing.
‘We are of course working closely with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and have already notified Egyptian authorities and will present them with evidence of the assault.’
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) spokesman said: ‘We are aware of an incident involving a British national and we are providing consular assistance.’
The FCO website warns travellers of a rise in such attacks in Egypt.
It says: ‘Reports of cases of sexual assault against British nationals have increased during and since the unrest of early 2011.
‘In 2012, the FCO handled 23 cases of sexual assault and six cases of rape. Some assaults were against minors. Many occurred in what were considered to be safe places such as hotels.