Neknomination: Horrified mum shames son by posting shocking Facebook picture of him unconscious and covered in vomit
Nikki Hunter found her son passed out on the sofa after drinking nearly three bottles of spirits as part of the deadly internet craze
A horrified mum has gone public with a picture of her unconscious and vomit-covered son in a bid to end the neknominate craze.
Nikki Hunter found her son passed out on the sofa after drinking nearly three bottles of spirits as part of the internet dare.
Keiren, 19, a student from Prestonpans, East Lothian, had accepted a dare to film himself downing a deadly mixture of vodka, whisky, Southern Comfort, Bacardi and sherry.
Nikki at first feared he might be dead or dying and placed him in the recovery position.
Terrified that Keiren could easily have killed himself, Nikki posted the picture online and asked everyone to share it.
She told the Daily Record: “I wanted other parents to know what what their kids are doing.
“It was horrendous – he could have died.
“I didn’t know if he was breathing so I checked him then put him in the floor in the recovery position.
“Then I dragged him into the bath and hosed him down and he just kept saying sorry mum.
“I gave him a talking to when he woke up this morning, and told him I’d put the picture on Facebook to embarrass him so he wouldn’t do it again.
“Other parents and kids need to know how dangerous this is.”
By mid-afternoon yesterday the picture had been shared 28,000 times.
Dr Evelyn Gillan, Chief Executive, Alcohol Focus Scotland said: “This young man could have choked in his own vomit.
“This reinforces the urgent need to stop this dangerous craze.
“Nominating friends to down large quantities of alcohol leads to dangerous situations as can be seen in this picture.
“The viral craze of Nekomination sweeping social media is of serious concern and is costing young people their lives.”
Keiren said: “When I woke up I got a good telling off. I had a major hangover and a load of abuse on Facebook.
“I was really stupid, If I’d have known people had died from doing it then I wouldn’t have done it in the first place.”
So far, two people’s deaths have been linked to the drinking game. Jonny Byrne, 19, and Ross Cummins, 22, both died after apparently taking part, with fears more could lose their lives.