McDonald’s stop construction at controversial site in Tecoma

July 5, 2013 10:27 am 0 comments Views: 425

Tecoma McDonalds

MCDONALD’S has indefinitely delayed construction work on a controversial new restaurant in outer Melbourne as protester numbers at the site swelled.

About 400 people fronted the McDonald’s Tecoma building site today, protest spokesman Garry Muratore said.

Four people have also planted themselves on a roof at the site since Monday and are refusing to budge.

Building unions resolved at a meeting today to “support the rights of the Tecoma community to protest against inappropriate development”.

McDonald’s would not reveal when work would resume at the site when contacted.

“Obviously our goal is to ensure the site is safe and secure,” a statement by the restaurant said.

“We cannot speculate on when construction will resume.”

Mr Muratore said the picket line would continue until McDonald’s goes away and he is calling on Victorian Premier Denis Napthine to step in.

“We’re calling on the Premier Denis Napthine to become involved and convince McDonald’s to pull out,” he said.

The local council initially rejected the company’s bid to build a restaurant in the Dandenong Ranges, but the decision was overturned by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Dr Napthine has previously said local planning authorities should have the right to decide where fast food outlets are located, and advised protesters to be peaceful.

Security staff were on site today and construction workers have not been seen since they stopped work yesterday, Mr Muratore said.

A woman says she suffered a broken finger and bruising after being dragged off a fence and held down during yesterday’s protest.

But police said the 50-year-old woman fell and was likely to be charged with trespass, while a 64-year-old Upwey woman was charged with traffic offences and trespass following a separate incident.

Get More Right To Your Inbox!