1. Sip an umbrella drink by the pool.
2. Make an ice cream sandwich out of a waffle.
3. Take a mini road trip just to eat something amazing.
Roadfood is the best guide to road trip food — hands down. Now a website, the guide was originally a book that came out in 1977 when the writers Jane and Michael Stern started documenting American regional food. Then it turned into a magazine column in Gourmet, and several more books, and now it’s a huge online database of regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.
All that is to say, pick one meal (or a bunch?) near you, and make it a summer goal to get there.
4. Make ice cream from scratch.
5. Throw a party with a DIY Hot Dog Bar.
6. Go berry picking.
7. Have a bowl of cold soup on a hot day.
8. Make Banana Nutella S’mores
9. Grill a cocktail.
10. Eat blueberry pie.
11. Snack on the beach.
12. Drink something out of a coconut.
13. And also out of a pineapple.
14. Grill a steak.
15. Freeze something fun into your ice cubes.
16. Eat watermelon ON A STICK.
17. Go on a picnic.
18. Eat tomatoes when they are in season and taste like dreams coming true.
19. Eat them for breakfast too.
20. Start an herb garden — even if you don’t have outdoor space.
21. Eat a boozy fresh fruit salad.
22. Eat Maryland blue crabs.
23. Make cold-brew coffee.
24. Or, if you’d like to live forever, give up coffee for iced matcha tea.
25. Eat Dippin’ Dots.
BTW, there’s a machine for that now.
26. Grill peaches.
27. Actually, grill all the fruit.
28. Make a classic mint julep.
29. Eat an unreasonable amount of guacamole.
30. Eat Mexican street corn.
31. Hang out around a fire and drink whiskey.
32. Preferably out of a flask.
33. Eat cherries while they’re in season.
34. Eat a lobster roll.
35. Eat a corn dog.
36. Drink Pimm’s Cups as often as possible.
37. Kick it on a sick lawn chair.
(Even better if your version of a “sick lawn chair” looks like this.)
38. Make some weird Jell-O shots.
39. Grill beer-can chicken.
40. Drink rosé.
41. Have an early dinner party outside, and sit around talking past when it gets dark.
42. Make pesto out of summer corn.
43. Dip popsicles in Prosecco.
44. Go camping.
Here are 41 Camping Hacks That Are Pure Genius.
45. Eat melon and prosciutto.
46. Fall asleep in a hammock.
Cat shows how it’s done.
47. Stuff your face on the Fourth of July.
48. Eat as many regional BBQ styles as possible.
Here’s a guide to regional BBQ styles from Serious Eats.
49. Do some day drinking — even when you have to hide it.
50. Grill kale for a salad.
Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums
51. Drink frozen hot chocolate.
52. Make this incredible black rice salad.
It is so good. Here is the recipe.
53. Eat Mister Softee as often as possible.
54. Use this trick to cool down a drink more quickly.
55. Make a punch bowl out of a watermelon.
56. Go fishing.
57. Make popsicles.