1. That Muppet Babies is greatest cartoon of all time (sorry, Rugrats).
2. Even though they were brother and sister, you thought He-Man and She-Ra made a hot couple.
3. The horror and confusion of finding your parents’ old 1970s copy of The Joy of Sex (where the couple looked like hippies).
5. Remembering where you were when the Challenger disaster happened.
7. Wanting to be as cool as Punky Brewster.
9. Being either “Team Cyndi” or “Team Madonna.”
10. Remembering to “Just Say No.”
11. Feeling über-cool when you were invited to ’50s-themed parties.
Also, we are now as far removed from the ‘80s as we were to the ‘50s in the ‘80s.
12. The emotional blow you felt when Optimus Prime died in The Transformers: The Movie.
13. That it’s OK to pass off your robot maid as your child…
14. …And it’s also OK to harbor a smart-mouthed, cat-murdering, extraterrestrial alien in your home.
15. The joy of collecting Garbage Pail Kids and putting the stickers on your bedroom wall.
16. Being traumatized by one or more of these movies:
17. Hands Across America — and even if you didn’t participate you still wore the T-shirt.
18. That it’s perfectly acceptable to wear neon spandex biker shorts with just a T-shirt to school.
19. Listening to your “We Are the World” 7-inch…
20. …and Book and Records…
21. …on your state-of-the-art Fisher-Price record player.
22. Watching this commercial over and over just to see if you could catch the moment when Michael Jackson’s hair catches on fire.
23. Taking that little extra time in the morning to get the perfect peg on your jeans.
24. Your parents still holding on to the Betamax player, even though VHS had won the format war.
25. These were the soundtracks to your life:
26. Watching 3-2-1 Contact, but mainly for “The Bloodhound Gang” segments.
27. Always picking the banker and then having your family die on The Oregon Trail.
28. That British Knights and L.A. Gear made the coolest shoes.
29. The joy of drinking New York Seltzer.
30. Square One: It was all about Mathnet.
31. Staying warm in Triple Fat Goose.
32. The feeling that you could totally beat the obstacle course on Double Dare.
33. That Ben Affleck will always be Clement Tyler from The Voyage of the Mimi.
34. Sam the Olympic Eagle is the first thing that pops into your head, when anyone mentions the 1984 Summer Olympics.
35. Pee-wee’s Playhouse and a big bowl of cereal was the highlight of Saturday mornings.
36. The creepy feeling of the skin on your vinyl E.T. doll.
37. The frustration of having to blow into your cartridges in order to get them to work.