Birmingham riots lawyers to review murder trial acquittals

July 27, 2012 11:09 am 0 comments Views: 1049

Tariq Jahan, whose son was one of three men killed by a car during last summer’s riots in Birmingham, has announced that lawyers have been instructed to review a criminal trial which saw eight men cleared of murder.

Mr Jahan said the verdict had left victims’ families in “utter shock and despair”.

Haroon Jahan and brothers Shazad Ali and Abdul Musavir died after being hit by a Mazda car as they tried to protect shops in Winson Green from looters last August.

Eight men were accused of murdering the three friends in a “modern day chariot charge” but were acquitted by a jury last Thursday, following a lengthy trial at Birmingham Crown Court.

Haroon’s father Tariq Jahan, who had made an emotional plea for calm just hours after the deaths, said: “The community did not let us down. The law, however, has.”

He added: “Our sense of disappointment and regret over this verdict cannot be stated in words.”

Addressing a press conference at a Winson Green community centre, Mr Jahan spoke of his disappointment that no-one had been held responsible the deaths.

He said: “To our utter shock and despair, on Thursday 19 July, the jury acquitted all eight men. This is no answer for us.

“It simply means that no one has been held accountable for what happened.

Tariq Jahan, whose son was one of three men killed by a car during last summer’s riots in Birmingham, has announced that lawyers have been instructed to review a criminal trial which saw eight men cleared of murder.

Mr Jahan said the verdict had left victims’ families in “utter shock and despair”.

Haroon Jahan and brothers Shazad Ali and Abdul Musavir died after being hit by a Mazda car as they tried to protect shops in Winson Green from looters last August.

Eight men were accused of murdering the three friends in a “modern day chariot charge” but were acquitted by a jury last Thursday, following a lengthy trial at Birmingham Crown Court.

Haroon’s father Tariq Jahan, who had made an emotional plea for calm just hours after the deaths, said: “The community did not let us down. The law, however, has.”

He added: “Our sense of disappointment and regret over this verdict cannot be stated in words.”

Addressing a press conference at a Winson Green community centre, Mr Jahan spoke of his disappointment that no-one had been held responsible the deaths.

He said: “To our utter shock and despair, on Thursday 19 July, the jury acquitted all eight men. This is no answer for us.

“It simply means that no one has been held accountable for what happened.

Get More Right To Your Inbox!