Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks remanded on bail

June 14, 2012 9:39 pm 0 comments Views: 24

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has appeared in court to face charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court.

She, her husband Charlie Brooks and four others have been bailed for a fortnight.

They appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on charges linked to the phone hacking scandal.

Mrs Brooks, 44, who faces three charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, was bailed until 22 June.

Her husband Mr Brooks, 49, and four former colleagues, who each face one charge of the same offence, were bailed to the same date to appear at Southwark Crown Court.

Mrs Brooks, 44, was charged last month by detectives from Operation Weeting, Scotland Yard’s phone-hacking inquiry.

The offences, which she denies, allegedly occurred in July last year.

Mrs Brooks is accused of conspiring to conceal documents, computers and electronic equipment from police and conspiring to remove seven boxes of material from the archive of News International.

That same month, David Cameron ordered an inquiry into press standards, the News of the World was closed down and Mrs Brooks resigned from News International.

Also in court was Mrs Brooks’ former personal assistant, Cheryl Carter, 48, Mark Hanna, 49, head of security at News International; Paul Edwards, 47, Mrs Brooks’ chauffeur; and security consultant Daryl Jorsling, 39, who each face a single charge of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

District Judge Howard Riddle told the defendants they would go on trial at a later date at Southwark Crown Court and they must attend the next hearing on 22 June.

He said: “You should be there no later than 9.30am. If you do not turn up on time you commit an offence and lose your bail, and in some circumstances the trial could continue in your absence.”

Get More Right To Your Inbox!